Friday, January 11, 2013

Life in Town

Yesterday my friend Natalie and I reminisced about one of the most appealing features of our summer vacation to the beach: in Rehoboth, you can drive into the charming town, park, and never get in the car again until you are ready to depart. For people who love walking and hate driving as much as we do, this aspect is as paradisaical as the beach itself.

I currently live in a suburban housing plan, a place that is perfect for exercise-walking but very impractical in terms of errand-walking. I sometimes miss living in a place like Saxonburg, my lovely hometown, where I was able to walk to pre-school, the library, restaurants, shops, and eventually my after-school job at a law office. The fact that I currently live in a city of neighborhoods without actually residing in one of these cool neighborhoods hurts my soul just a bit. I am only in my "starter home," so I hope that my "grown-up" house will be in a walking town more reminiscent of Saxonburg (though perhaps a smidge closer to an urban setting).

A journal entry from 1994 reminds me, however, that I did not always cherish the proximity of Saxonburg to, for example, the local grocery store. This excerpt is from an entry describing the annual cards party my mom would host for our whole family the week between Christmas and New Year's Eve. This particular year, as the dramatic tale below suggests, she must have forgotten a CRUCIAL ingredient for the making of the traditional bean soup and potato cakes:

12-29-94
Anyhoo, I was the last to get my bath because -- Mom made me go to the store for Crisco! I'm like "Uh -- I'm in my pajamas here . . ." Meanwhile, Cam's all dressed but "He couldn't find Crisco!" That is one of her more ridiculous statements. So I had to put on clean clothes, try to comb back my greasy hair, and walk in the cold -- all for Crisco. :(

I hope Cam is just as amused as I am by our mother's lack of confidence in his Crisco-spotting abilities. I also enjoy the graphic detail that, pre-bath, my hair was presumably as greasy as the Crisco I so reluctantly purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.